Face of Defense: Airman Serves With First KC-10

JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST, N.J. — Air­craft 79–0434, the first KC-10 Exten­der deliv­ered to the Air Force, land­ed March 17, 1981, at Barks­dale Air Force Base, La.
At the same time, 400 miles away, a young Air Force trainee endur­ing the rig­ors of basic train­ing was unaware that his career –- and his life –- would be so deeply tied to that air­craft.

The KC-10 is clos­ing in on its 30th year of pro­vid­ing air refu­el­ing and air­lift for U.S. mil­i­tary oper­a­tions around the globe. Few air­men serv­ing today are as con­nect­ed to the KC-10’s his­to­ry as Air Force Senior Mas­ter Sgt. Bill Gross, a crew chief with the 714th Air­craft Main­te­nance Squadron here. 

Gross’ career has marched prac­ti­cal­ly in lock­step with the air­craft known by the last three dig­its of its tail num­ber: 434. 

“This is a tanker that has served in just about every major mil­i­tary oper­a­tion in the last 20 years,” he said. “I am proud to have been the crew chief on such a his­tor­i­cal and tenured warfight­ing machine.” 

Before work­ing on 434, Gross served as an active-duty crew chief on a B‑52 Strato­fortress. Upon com­plet­ing his ini­tial enlist­ment, he left the Air Force and returned to his home­town in the sub­urbs of Chica­go. But he soon real­ized that his home­town had stayed the same, while he had changed. 

“After being respon­si­ble for a mul­ti-mil­lion-dol­lar air­craft, going back to a child­hood job seemed like a dead end,” he said. 

Know­ing that air­craft main­te­nance was one of his per­son­al strengths, Gross searched for avi­a­tion-relat­ed career oppor­tu­ni­ties. He even­tu­al­ly learned that full-time KC-10 crew chiefs were need­ed in an Air Force Reserve unit at Barks­dale. He got the job and unpacked his Air Force uni­forms for the first time in more than a year. 

The unit was bring­ing in a lot of new air­craft main­te­nance per­son­nel, and Gross said he had­n’t real­ly con­sid­ered which air­craft he’d be assigned to. 

Gross said his time as an air reserve tech­ni­cian at Barks­dale was spe­cial, both per­son­al­ly and pro­fes­sion­al­ly. Not only did he raise his two chil­dren there, but he also made many strong rela­tion­ships with his fel­low airmen. 

Time and dis­tance have made it dif­fi­cult to main­tain many of those rela­tion­ships, he said, but keep­ing in touch with one of his Barks­dale bud­dies is no prob­lem for Gross –- he just turns to his left. 

Air Force Chief Mas­ter Sgt. Todd Har­ris shares an office with Gross. The chief said he clear­ly recalls his office mate’s work eth­ic and ded­i­ca­tion when he was a young non­com­mis­sioned officer. 

“He took it to anoth­er lev­el,” Har­ris said of Gross. “If you were going to be work­ing on his air­craft, you had bet­ter keep it clean and do prop­er main­te­nance, or believe me, you would hear about it.” 

That lev­el of ded­i­ca­tion almost killed Gross. 

While work­ing on 434 one day, he was informed of a storm that was quick­ly approach­ing Barks­dale. He had been involved in heavy main­te­nance, and the tanker was opened up, expos­ing some of its crit­i­cal com­po­nents. He could­n’t let 434 face the storm in its cur­rent state. Gross said he rushed to pre­pare the jet, but he took just a lit­tle too long. 

“This big ‘boom’ hap­pened, and the next thing I knew, I was in the back of a main­te­nance truck being tak­en to the emer­gency room,” he recalled. Light­ning had struck the air­craft and surged through the crew chief, knock­ing him off his feet. 

“Every­one always says that 434 and I are bond­ed for life, because we got struck by light­ning togeth­er,” he said. “It’s not an expe­ri­ence I’d want to relive,” he added. 

Gross recount­ed that just as he was reach­ing his prime as a hands-on crew chief in the late 1980s, the KC-10 was reach­ing its prime as an oper­a­tional asset for U.S. mil­i­tary oper­a­tions. Their tim­ing could­n’t have been much bet­ter, because ten­sions were esca­lat­ing in the Per­sian Gulf. The air­man and the air­craft were giv­en an oppor­tu­ni­ty to prove their capa­bil­i­ties in com­bat operations. 

While much of the acco­lades for the ini­tial stages of Oper­a­tion Desert Shield go to F‑15 fight­er jets, Gross said, the fight­ers, with their lim­it­ed fuel capac­i­ty, could not have been in the fight with­out the sup­port of their tankers. 

“How do you think they got there?” he said. 

After Iraq’s mil­i­tary had been sub­dued dur­ing Oper­a­tion Desert Storm, the KC-10s con­tin­ued to rotate in and out of the Mid­dle East in sup­port of oper­a­tions North­ern Watch and South­ern Watch. How­ev­er, things were chang­ing back home. The bal­ance of the state­side fleet was leav­ing Barks­dale for loca­tions clos­er to the coasts –- Travis Air Force Base, Calif., and McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.

The reor­ga­ni­za­tion had a sig­nif­i­cant impact on Barks­dale air­men, many of whom were life­long Louisiana res­i­dents. The air­men were giv­en a choice to fol­low the KC-10s to their new bases or remain to work on the B‑52s that were mov­ing to Barksdale. 

“We did­n’t real­ly want to leave,” Gross said. If he stayed at Barks­dale, Gross would be able to use his expe­ri­ence as for­mer B‑52 crew chief. 

But he had two impor­tant rea­sons to move to the Gar­den State. Since so many of his fel­low unit mem­bers decid­ed to remain at Barks­dale, a move to McGuire would open many pro­mo­tion oppor­tu­ni­ties with much less expe­ri­enced com­pe­ti­tion. He also had grown attached to his air­plane, he added, and was­n’t ready to bid it farewell. 

“It would have been hard,” he said. 

On Oct. 1, 1994, air­craft 434 was the first KC-10 to be trans­ferred to McGuire. Gross was part of the crew that flew the tanker to its new home that day. 

Air­craft 434 was­n’t the first in every­thing it did. Gross said that in one par­tic­u­lar case, 434 was last. Air Mobil­i­ty Com­mand offi­cials decid­ed the KC-10’s white-top paint scheme would be aban­doned in favor of an all-grey scheme. Gross said he thought 434 was fine as it was, and he did­n’t real­ly sup­port the change. 

He kept find­ing good excus­es to keep the tanker out of the paint barn, he said, and the strat­e­gy worked for a lit­tle while, though he knew it was only a mat­ter of time before the painters caught up with him. 

“I told them that they might paint it grey,” he said. “But it would have a big, white ‘X’ on top where I would lay while try­ing to stop them.” 

They end­ed up paint­ing it while he was on leave, he said. 

The KC-10 and its main­te­nance and oper­a­tions per­son­nel con­tin­ued to sup­port ongo­ing oper­a­tions in the Mid­dle East through­out the 1990s, and just as the mil­len­ni­um was about to come to a close, the Balka­ns erupt­ed in vio­lence. Gross and 434 were called upon to serve over­seas again in sup­port of Oper­a­tion Allied Force. 

Dur­ing the oper­a­tion, 434 was able to demon­strate its ver­sa­til­i­ty. The air­craft pro­vid­ed aer­i­al refu­el­ing on sev­er­al mis­sions, but also shut­tled refugees from harm’s way in Koso­vo to safe­ty in the Unit­ed States. 

As the new mil­len­ni­um arrived, the KC-10’s ser­vices still were in high demand. After the Sept. 11, 2001, ter­ror­ist attacks, the crew chief and his tanker deployed in sup­port of mul­ti­ple oper­a­tions through­out the Mid­dle East. 

Though Gross and 434 had been broth­ers in arms for many years, pro­mo­tions even­tu­al­ly took him away from his role as the tanker’s pri­ma­ry care­tak­er. He became a pro­duc­tion super­in­ten­dent, the shift leader who cruised the flight­line in a pick-up truck while coor­di­nat­ing the all the squadron’s on-air­craft main­te­nance activities. 

His duties kept him close to the air­craft and to the air­men who replaced him, but he missed doing the job him­self. “My co-work­ers always tell me it’s time to move on,” he said. “But I’m a wrench turn­er at heart.” 

Gross said it took some effort to not give spe­cial atten­tion to 434 and to focus on the main­te­nance sta­tus of all of the KC-10s equal­ly. But occa­sion­al­ly, he added, he’d jump out of his truck for a few min­utes to lend a hand and a word of advice to the air­men who were work­ing on his jet. 

“He tries very hard to share his knowl­edge and expe­ri­ences with the young air­men and pass on his pride of the KC-10,” Har­ris said. “When he hears main­tain­ers refer­ring to 434 on the radio, he often chimes in with a some­times-uncon­ven­tion­al sug­ges­tion that reflects one of the aircraft’s quirks.” 

The next pro­mo­tion took Gross away from 434 and the flight­line and into his cur­rent posi­tion as a desk-bound flight chief. Ini­tial­ly, he acknowl­edged, the new job was tough because he no longer worked on air­craft –- he worked on air­men. He did­n’t start to feel com­fort­able in the flight chief posi­tion, he said, until he was advised to think of per­son­nel and admin­is­tra­tive issues like air­craft main­te­nance issues. 

Gross since has warmed to his posi­tion as flight chief, but Har­ris said he knows his old friend would trade in his key­board for a wrench in a heartbeat. 

“To this day, 434 is the No. 1 thing on his mind,” the chief said. “When any­one men­tions 434, his ears perk up.” 

Gross does­n’t deny the chief’s descrip­tion. “I still have a per­son­al ded­i­ca­tion to the air­craft,” he said. 

Air­craft 434, like most KC-10s, is pro­ject­ed to serve through 2043. Gross, how­ev­er, has just a few years of ser­vice left before reach­ing his manda­to­ry retire­ment date. 

“There will nev­er be anoth­er KC-10 crew chief who takes more pride in his air­craft than Sergeant Gross,” Har­ris said. “It will be a sad day for the Air Force and the KC-10 when he final­ly hangs up his uni­form for the last time.” 

Gross acknowl­edges his con­nec­tion to 434, but insists that many oth­er air­men have helped to keep the tanker in a mis­sion-ready state through its 30 years of service. 

“That air­craft has a lot of his­to­ry,” he said. “A lot of peo­ple have worked on it and bled on it.” 

Though the next gen­er­a­tion of air­men will con­tin­ue to work on 434, none will be able to claim a career that was so deeply linked to one air­plane like Gross. 

“One day, I hope to take my grand­chil­dren to a muse­um or a base where they will even­tu­al­ly retire 434 upon a block of con­crete, ded­i­cat­ing it for­ev­er as the first KC-10 deliv­ered to the Air Force,” he said. “And maybe, just maybe, some his­to­ri­an will put my name in the crew chief block, and I can say to them that I was the crew chief for that airplane.” 

U.S. Depart­ment of Defense
Office of the Assis­tant Sec­re­tary of Defense (Pub­lic Affairs) 

Face­book and/or on Twit­ter

Team GlobDef

Seit 2001 ist GlobalDefence.net im Internet unterwegs, um mit eigenen Analysen, interessanten Kooperationen und umfassenden Informationen für einen spannenden Überblick der Weltlage zu sorgen. GlobalDefence.net war dabei die erste deutschsprachige Internetseite, die mit dem Schwerpunkt Sicherheitspolitik außerhalb von Hochschulen oder Instituten aufgetreten ist.

Alle Beiträge ansehen von Team GlobDef →