Infantry Soldiers Hold Border Hilltop During Overnight Attack

GAYAN DISTRICT, Afghanistan, May 20, 2011 — This week, mem­bers of ‘Dog’ Com­pa­ny main­tained their hold on a key hill­top locat­ed just meters from the Afghanistan-Pak­istan bor­der by win­ning a 14-hour fire­fight with insur­gents.
Army Sgt. 1st Class Adam Petrone, fill­ing in for a pla­toon leader on mid-tour leave, was the senior sol­dier on the ground with the 4th Brigade, 101st Air­borne Division’s Third Pla­toon, Dog Com­pa­ny, 2nd Bat­tal­ion, 506th Infantry Reg­i­ment.

101st Airborne Division's 'Dog' Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment
Sgt. 1st Class Adam Petrone, act­ing sec­ond pla­toon leader for the 101st Air­borne Division’s ‘Dog’ Com­pa­ny, 2nd Bat­tal­ion, 506th Infantry Reg­i­ment, shown above after an ene­my attack May 18, direct­ed his platoon’s defense dur­ing an fire­fight at the same loca­tion May 16 and 17.
DOD pho­to by Karen Par­rish
Click to enlarge

The pla­toon was con­duct­ing a five-day oper­a­tion, which includ­ed set­ting up a block­ing posi­tion about three kilo­me­ters from the rest of the company’s positions. 

“Our task was to destroy the ene­my in the engage­ment area,” Petrone said. 

The hill­top which the third pla­toon occu­pied is a now-dis­used obser­va­tion point, so some sand­bag-rein­forced dug-in fight­ing posi­tions already were in place. The sol­diers added more sand­bags when they reached posi­tion May 14, 2011 – a Saturday. 

About 1 p.m. Mon­day, Petrone said insur­gents attacked the pla­toon from 300 meters to the east, along the Pak­istan bor­der. The ene­my used rock­et-pro­pelled grenades, mul­ti­ple machine guns and small-arms fire. 

“They were set up in three dif­fer­ent spots; I’d say there were about 15 to 20 of them,” he said. 

The attack start­ed with machine-gun fire fol­lowed by around 10 RPGs, Petrone said. Six of the grenades hit the hill­top, while the rest went over. 

“I know I felt one hit about 10 feet from my posi­tion,” he said. “They were pret­ty effec­tive with machine-gun fire; they had us pret­ty con­tained in our foxholes.” 

The pla­toon fired back with machine guns, squad auto­mat­ic weapons, 90mm recoil­less, hand-held 60mm mor­tars and oth­er weapons, Petrone said. 

“We just engaged them until they stopped shoot­ing,” he said. “Total sup­pres­sion was prob­a­bly 10 min­utes to push them back. They went back over the side of the ridge – we obvi­ous­ly did­n’t push them too far back, since they stayed around the entire night.” 

Petrone said he called for a med­ical evac­u­a­tion after his medic was bit­ten twice by a snake before the fight start­ed. “So the whole night we were there with­out a medic … [but] we had no injuries,” he said. 

Intel­li­gence reports through the night indi­cat­ed the ene­my kept advanc­ing toward the platoon’s posi­tion. Those reports were impor­tant; the men on the hill could­n’t see more than about 40 meters because trees and a steep drop blocked their view, Petrone said. 

Four air-weapons teams, two Apache heli­copters at a time, and close-air sup­port F‑15s and F‑16s stayed on-sta­tion through­out much of the night, he said, report­ing ene­my move­ments and fir­ing at exposed insurgents. 

Petrone the­o­rized the insur­gents thought they could take advan­tage of the platoon’s loca­tion away from the company’s oth­er ele­ments to over­run their position. 

Air sup­port kept push­ing the ene­my back, but fight­ers con­tin­ued advanc­ing through the night, Petrone said. “We could hear them, but we could­n’t see them,” he said. “We knew they were there, but we could­n’t find them.” 

Around 3 a.m. Tues­day the pla­toon stopped hear­ing the ene­my, Petrone said. By that time oth­er Dog Com­pa­ny ele­ments were mov­ing to rein­force the third platoon’s position. 

“I think [the ene­my] prob­a­bly saw them com­ing and retreat­ed,” Petrone said. “Plus by that time the [Apach­es] had shot a lot of rounds.” 

By 10 a.m. Tues­day relief was in place, Petrone said, and the pla­toon was down to a third of its ammunition. 

Petrone, who twice served in Iraq and is now on his third deploy­ment, said the third platoon’s per­for­mance was “out­stand­ing.”

“I think every­thing we did was exact­ly what we should have done,” he said. “We had good sec­tors of fire, good posi­tion, we did­n’t take any injuries.” 

The platoon’s pre­vi­ous fights have usu­al­ly run 30 min­utes or so, Petrone said, with one sus­tained five- to six-hour con­tact under movement. 

“This fight was the worst one I think my boys have seen,” he said. “Not the con­tact; they’ve been in worse con­tact. But this by far was the most nerve-wrack­ing, because there’s noth­ing you can do but scan your sec­tors and hope you see them before they’re with­in 35 meters.” 

Dog Com­pa­ny com­man­der Capt. Edwin Churchill mon­i­tored the fight from his hill­top posi­tion with first pla­toon 1,400 meters south­west of the third platoon’s loca­tion. The air sup­port was help­ful, he said, but could­n’t effec­tive­ly pen­e­trate the dense trees pro­tect­ing the enemy. 

Around mid­night, Churchill called for two 500-pound bombs on the insur­gent position. 

“We only end­ed up engag­ing two more [ene­my fight­ers] after that, for the rest of the night,” he said. “The bombs cleared a bunch of the tree cov­er and … had a tremen­dous psy­cho­log­i­cal effect.” 

Spc. Alan Vogel, a fire team leader with the third pla­toon, said the ammu­ni­tion sup­ply was one of his main con­cerns dur­ing the night-long fight. 

Vogel’s team, fir­ing weapons includ­ing a 90mm recoil­less rifle and two light anti­tank weapons, fought from a dug-in posi­tion they called the “thun­der dome.” 

“I had to make sure the guys weren’t fir­ing when we weren’t get­ting shot at, to con­serve rounds,” he said. “We were on a moun­tain top, and what we had was what we had.” 

“I’m a trig­ger-puller too,” Vogel said. “Team leader, you’re down there mak­ing sure that your guys are shoot­ing, you’re return­ing fire, con­trol­ling rates of fire.” 

Pfc. Steven Boert­mann, a 19-year-old third pla­toon machine gun­ner, car­ried near­ly his body weight in gear up the moun­tain where the fight happened. 

“All togeth­er, about 120 pounds,” he said, not­ing he weighs 150. 

Boert­mann esti­mates he’s been in about 20 fire­fights dur­ing the deploy­ment, but this week’s engage­ment was a lit­tle different. 

“Being so close to the Pak­istan bor­der … this time we weren’t real­ly ambushed, we were set into a posi­tion,” he said. Oth­er than that, “It was what you expect in a fire­fight – to get shot at.” 

The pla­toon was divid­ed among sev­en fight­ing posi­tions, he said, and shout­ed ene­my posi­tions and round counts back and forth to each other. 

“There’s a lot of trust … you’re basi­cal­ly putting your lives in everyone’s hands,” he said. “Out here, no mat­ter what you look like, age, your per­son­al­i­ty … every­one watch­es over each oth­er. It’s like one big family.” 

Boert­mann likes his job, he said, because he can make a dif­fer­ence in a fight’s outcome. 

“This is a career choice for me,” he said. 

U.S. Depart­ment of Defense
Office of the Assis­tant Sec­re­tary of Defense (Pub­lic Affairs) 

Face­book and/or on Twit­ter

Team GlobDef

Seit 2001 ist im Internet unterwegs, um mit eigenen Analysen, interessanten Kooperationen und umfassenden Informationen für einen spannenden Überblick der Weltlage zu sorgen. war dabei die erste deutschsprachige Internetseite, die mit dem Schwerpunkt Sicherheitspolitik außerhalb von Hochschulen oder Instituten aufgetreten ist.

Alle Beiträge ansehen von Team GlobDef →