The MineBurner is a patented system developed to dispose of explosive remnants of war using non-explosive components or subsystems by combining oxygen with liquid petroleum gas to provide a high temperature cutting flame that burns through the case of a landmine and ignites the contents. The flame has a temperature of 2,300° C and can penetrate 3mm steel. Oxygen is obtained by pumping atmospheric air through a filter to remove the nitrogen. Liquid petroleum (cooking) gas is locally available, thereby eliminating the requirement to transport hazardous cargo to the minefield. The MineBurner and accessories are all air-transport classified as non-hazardous.
|Click to enlarge|
The MineBurner consits of the following reusable components:
- Battery Charger Unit (1)
- Field Module Unit (5)
- Bladder Assembly (2)
- flame-proof cover for the Bladder Assembly (3)
- Bladder Filler Unit (4)
- Remote Firing Unit
The remote firing unit enables the operator to initialize the ignition from a distance of 2km+ depending on the use of repeater and the landscape. And there is no line-of-sight required. For the increase of efficiency the operator can use ten field modules to burn ten targets simultaneously.
The bladder assembly consists of three separate bladders that store the gases. The first is filled with 0.5 liter liquid petroleum gas (LPG), the second with 2.5 liter Oxygen with up to 0.4 bar and the third with 2.5 liter compressed air to drive the other gases. All bladders contained together in strong stitched seam outer cover. The oxygen and LPG hose from the bladder assembly are connected to the field module unit and from there the hoses with the ignition and flame detection cables are leading to the target. The field module unit sounds a 10 second audible alarm via its installed siren before the ignition and monitors and transmits the measurements about the flame and gas mixture to the remote firing unit.
|Click to enlarge|
Remote Firing Unit
- Contains transceiver and firing circuit test logic. Operator only PIN keyed power on switch. Siren sounds for 10 seconds before ignitiation.
- Continuity wire burn-through signals flame detection back to RFU via repeater station tranceivers.
- Range 2Km+. No line-of-sight requirements.
- Dimensions 170 x 85 x 35mm. Weight 500g.
- Rubberised protective holster.
- Shower/Dust proof shoulder bag.
- Authorisation: PIN code
- Activation procedure: Simultaneous operation of two buttons required
- Button description: Robust, tamper-proof, laminated touch pad
- Status indication: 3 LEDs, “Low battery”, “Fire” and “Error”
- Power: 9.2V NiMHyd rechargeable
- Communication: Two-way (acknowledgement of each command)
- Repeater Stations: 2, with 9.2V NiMHyd rechargeable batteries.
- 20 hour continuous usage
|Click to enlarge|
MineBurner Field Module
- Robust case connected through control panel via Ignitiation Unit to 5 metres steel cased Delivery Sheath containing gas hose with ignition and flame detection cables connected to disposable ceramic nozzle.
- High volume intermittent siren fitted in case.
- Dimensions: 250mm x 250mm x 150mm. Weight 5.5 Kgs.
- Radio transceiver and electronics control three solenoid valves to open gas supply through regulators to mixer and on through delivery hose. Also switches on GloWire ignition coil at the nozzle to ignite the LPG.
- Power on: Toggle switch within Field Module. Includes battery and circuit test functions
- Warning Cycle: 10 second audible alarm.
- Flame Ignition: GloWire
- Flame Feedback: Continuity measurement, flame causes open-circuit message to return to Remote Firing Unit.
- Shutdown: Valve shutdown if no flame.
- Oxygen Boost: Increase oxygen supply 20 seconds after flame detection
- Power: 12 VDC, sealed lead-acid battery (1.3 Ah) Battery isolation SW.
- Link Type: Two-way transceiver
- Carrier Frequency: 868 MHz
- Modulation: Frequency Shift Keying (FSK)
- Command Length: 24 bits per command
- Operational Distance: 2Km+. No line-of-sight requirements
Picture and data source: MineBurner