Veteran Recalls Battle Leading to Medal of Honor

WASHINGTON, Sept. 22, 2010 — In 1968, a bat­tle raged where heroes arose only to be unac­knowl­edged for 18 years. Prop­er recog­ni­tion occurred dur­ing a White House cer­e­mo­ny Sept. 21 when Air Force Chief Mas­ter Sgt. Richard Etch­berg­er was posthu­mous­ly award­ed the Medal of Hon­or after sav­ing three of his men in a bat­tle that failed to make head­lines at the time due to its then-high­ly clas­si­fied nature.

1968 battle at Lima Site 85 in Laos
Retired Air Force Tech. Sgt. John Daniel reflects on the 1968 bat­tle at Lima Site 85 in Laos that result­ed in the posthu­mous award of the Medal of Hon­or to Air Force Chief Mas­ter Sgt. Richard Etch­berg­er. Daniel was one of the air­men saved by Etch­berg­er dur­ing the bat­tle.
U.S. Air Force pho­to by Senior Mas­ter Sgt. David Byron
Click to enlarge

Retired Air Force Tech. Sgt. John Daniel was one of the air­men Etch­berg­er saved dur­ing the bat­tle at the Lima 85 radar site. 

The mis­sion, named Heavy Green, was to pro­vide radar infor­ma­tion and assis­tance to U.S. air­craft bomb­ing mil­i­tary tar­gets in Hanoi, Viet­nam, its sur­round­ing areas and along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. The radar site, locat­ed on a hill­top in Laos, was not offi­cial­ly acknowl­edged until 1986 because Laos was con­sid­ered a neu­tral coun­try dur­ing the Viet­nam War, despite U.S. and North Viet­namese forces often oper­at­ing there. 

Daniel said that although the mis­sion was to guide bombers on long-range strikes, as time went on the radar crews were forced to direct an increas­ing num­ber of bomb­ing runs clos­er to their own location. 

The North Viet­namese army had dis­cov­ered the site’s loca­tion and made a con­cert­ed push, includ­ing build­ing roads to bring in heavy artillery, to launch attacks against the site.

On the evening of March 10, 1968, the radar crew expe­ri­enced a lull in guid­ing bomber mis­sions and decid­ed to take a din­ner break. Daniel had the addi­tion­al duty as cook for his shift. 

“I asked them what they want­ed for din­ner, and they all said steaks, so we went down to the bar­be­cue pit and fired up the grill,” he said. “We had­n’t start­ed cook­ing yet, and [Air Force Lt. Col.] Bill Blan­ton came up and said, ‘Fel­lows, we need to have a lit­tle get-togeth­er up in the equipment.’ ” 

Blan­ton told the team that the North Viet­namese army had sur­round­ed them and the sit­u­a­tion looked dire, Daniel said. While call­ing in evac­u­a­tion heli­copters was a pos­si­bil­i­ty, that option was rapid­ly dis­ap­pear­ing as dark­ness approached. A flight out the fol­low­ing morn­ing would be more likely. 

“We took a straw poll of every­body that was there,” Daniel said. “We decid­ed to just go ahead and drop bombs all night, and in the morn­ing, det­o­nate all the equip­ment and get out on chop­pers at first light.” 

As it turned out, they did­n’t have as much time as they’d thought. Dur­ing the meet­ing, the North Viet­namese army began its attack. The first artillery round hit the bar­be­cue shack. “It was a good thing we were at that meet­ing and not hav­ing din­ner,” Daniel said. 

The radar team split into two crews. One team would pull the first shift man­ning the equip­ment, the oth­er would return to the sleep­ing quar­ters, rest and pre­pare to relieve the first team. The sleep­ing quar­ters and bunker were locat­ed next to the bar­be­cue shack. 

“I said I was­n’t going to stay in quar­ters or the bunker,” Daniel said. “They already hit there and had the range down on that. I said we should go down over the side of the hill, where we went to write let­ters. Nobody would find us down there.” 

On one side of the hill was a ledge where the air­men often sat to com­pose let­ters or tapes to send home. It was 10 to 15 feet below the top of the hill, with a near­ly 3,000-foot straight drop below. The five-man crew decid­ed to take cov­er there. 

The five air­men start­ed hear­ing small-arms fire and grenades going off on the hill­top, Daniel said. “Short­ly there­after,” he added, “some­one caught a glimpse of us and start­ed emp­ty­ing their rifles at us.” 

In the first vol­ley of gun­fire, two mem­bers of the team were hit, one fatal­ly. The crew returned fire with their M‑16s. After the next exchange, two were dead and two oth­ers had been wound­ed. Etch­berg­er was the only one not wounded. 

Dur­ing lulls in the gun bat­tle, the ene­my began toss­ing grenades down on the ledge. 

“If I could reach them, I’d pick them up and throw them back on top of the hill,” Daniel said. “If I could­n’t reach them, I’d take the butt of my rifle and kick them off over the edge of the mountain.” 

When one grenade land­ed out­side both his own reach and the reach of his rifle, Daniel said, he rolled the dead body of a com­rade over on top of it. 

Rough­ly 15 yards sep­a­rat­ed Daniel and Etch­berg­er. Daniel had a radio near him, and as the attack con­tin­ued, the chief direct­ed him to call in an air strike on the top of the hill. 

Through­out the night, a suc­ces­sion of air­craft unloaded their ord­nance, both bombs and bul­lets, on the hill. 

At day­light, three mem­bers of the team still sur­vived on the ledge. An Air Amer­i­ca heli­copter spot­ted them and hov­ered, low­er­ing a sling. Etch­berg­er broke cov­er, expos­ing him­self to the ene­my, and closed the gap between him­self and his wound­ed colleagues. 

“[Etch­berg­er] scoot­ed me on over and got me on that sling,” Daniel said. “After I was up, he got [Capt. Stan Sliz] up on the sling.” 

After the two sur­vivors were aboard the heli­copter, the chief began to secure him­self to the sling. Before he could go up, Staff Sgt. Bill Hus­band, who had been play­ing dead atop the hill, dashed to the ledge. The chief locked arms with him, and they rode the sling togeth­er and board­ed the helicopter. 

As the heli­copter began to climb, a North Viet­namese sol­dier emp­tied his weapon into the under­side of the air­craft. Etch­berg­er was mor­tal­ly wound­ed and died dur­ing the evac­u­a­tion flight. 

“[Etch­berg­er] was one hell of an NCO,” Daniel said. “He knew the equip­ment. … He knew how to han­dle peo­ple. … He knew what to do and how to do it. You were eager to fol­low the man, to do what he want­ed you to do.” 

The Heavy Green mis­sion began with vol­un­teers, brief­in­gs and sworn state­ments of secre­cy at the Pen­ta­gon in 1967. For those involved, the White House Medal of Hon­or pre­sen­ta­tion and the Pen­ta­gon Hall of Heroes induc­tion cer­e­mo­ny today will pro­vide clo­sure to the mission. 

“It’s only fit­ting,” Daniel said, “that we’re back in the Pen­ta­gon to fin­ish it up and put an end to it, right where it start­ed, 43 years ago.” 

U.S. Depart­ment of Defense
Office of the Assis­tant Sec­re­tary of Defense (Pub­lic Affairs) 

Face­book and/or on Twit­ter

Team GlobDef

Seit 2001 ist im Internet unterwegs, um mit eigenen Analysen, interessanten Kooperationen und umfassenden Informationen für einen spannenden Überblick der Weltlage zu sorgen. war dabei die erste deutschsprachige Internetseite, die mit dem Schwerpunkt Sicherheitspolitik außerhalb von Hochschulen oder Instituten aufgetreten ist.

Alle Beiträge ansehen von Team GlobDef →