Eligible Family Members in Japan Can Relocate Voluntarily

WASHINGTON, March 17, 2011 – The State Department has authorized family members and dependents of U.S. government officials — including those of service members — to relocate from northeastern Japan, officials announced last night.
The U.S. government also is working to facilitate the departure of private American citizens from areas within a 50-mile radius of the damaged Fukushima nuclear power plant, Pentagon spokesman Marine Corps Col. Dave Lapan said.

Detailed information is available in a travel warning posted at the State Department’s website, Lapan said. Meanwhile, he added, U.S. forces remain in Japan, and the United States has full capability to fulfill its alliance commitments to defend Japan and maintain peace and security in the region.

Defense Department family members eligible to relocate will receive travel instructions from their local commands, Lapan said, noting that the relocation is temporary and that the family members will return when the situation in the region is resolved.

U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)

More news and articles can be found on Facebook and Twitter.

Follow GlobalDefence.net on Facebook and/or on Twitter