WASHINGTON, Aug. 9, 2011 — A combined Afghan and coalition security force killed an insurgent and detained two suspects yesterday while searching for a Taliban leader in the Dowlatabad district of Afghanistan’s Faryab province, military officials reported.
The targeted leader is the Taliban’s second in command in Jowzjan province. He is responsible for imposing illegal taxes on villagers, orchestrating attacks on Afghan security force checkpoints, and transporting insurgent supplies and weapons.
In other Afghanistan operations yesterday:
– In the Panjwai district of Kandahar province, a combined Afghan and coalition force detained two suspects with ties to the Taliban. The security force was in the district searching for a Taliban leader who coordinates attacks and acquires lethal aid for insurgents operating in the district.
– In Nahr‑e Saraj district of Helmand province, a combined Afghan and coalition security force detained one suspect during an operation targeting a Taliban leader. The leader directs an insurgent attack cell in the Nahr‑e Saraj district, and is responsible for roadside-bomb and small-arms attacks against Afghan and coalition forces in central Helmand province.
– A combined Afghan and coalition security force detained numerous suspected insurgents during a search for a Haqqani network facilitator in Khost province’s Terayzai district. The Haqqani facilitator is involved in the acquisition and distribution of bomb-making materials and weapons.
– In the Panjwai district of Kandahar province, a coalition patrol found and destroyed 705 pounds of homemade explosive.
– A combined Afghan and coalition force in the Gurbuz district of Khost province seized three 107 mm rockets, three rocket-propelled grenade launchers and an anti-tank mine.
– In the Nizam‑e Shahid district of Herat province, a coalition force met a group of Afghans who had discovered a cache of munitions. The cache, which was turned over to coalition forces, contained nine artillery shells, a hand grenade and 40 fuses.
In Aug. 7 Afghanistan operations:
– A combined Afghan and coalition patrol killed several insurgents and detained numerous others during an operation in the Mya Neshin district of Kandahar province.
– A combined Afghan and coalition force seized 353 pounds of opium, 88 pounds of precursor chemicals and drug-making equipment during a vehicle search operation in the Khash Rod district of Nimroz province.
– A combined Afghan and coalition patrol seized a drug and weapons cache during an operation in the Achin district of Nangahar province. More than 300 pounds of opium, small-arms ammunition and explosive components were confiscated.
– In the Tagab district of Kapisa province, a combined Afghan and coalition patrol seized an insurgent cache containing one 107 mm rocket, two 100mm rockets, three hand grenades, an assault rifle, seven assault-rifle magazines and 710 7.62 mm rounds.
Compiled from International Security Assistance Force Joint Command News Releases