ALGOMA MILLS, ONT. — A representative of the Canadian Navy will present a framed pictorial history of HMCS Algoma, one of the Canadian Navy’s namesake warships, to the city of Algoma Mills on Thursday July 1st, 2010 at the Municipal office (1385 Hwy 17, Algoma Mills). Following the presentation will be Canada Day Celebrations at the Causeway (1096 Hwy 538, Algoma Mills).
Lieutenant-Commander Real Fortin, Submarine Safety Operations Officer with the Maritime Staff Risk Management Services, will make the presentation to mark the Canadian Naval Centennial at 6:00 p.m. Commemorating HMCS Algoma, the presentation will include a framed picture of the ship that includes the ships’ badge and a historical write-up.
HMCS Algoma was a Flower Class corvette commissioned into the Canadian Navy in 1941. She escorted her first convoy to Iceland in September, and was thereafter employed as an ocean escort until the end of May 1942. In July 1942, after six weeks of repairs at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, she joined the Western Local Escort Force. In October, allocated to duties in connection with the invasion of North Africa, she left for Britain with convoy SC.107. HMCS Algoma served under Royal Navy orders the next few months, escorting convoys between Britain and the Mediterranean.
In February 1943 she was based at Bône, Algeria, but returned in April to St. John’s, Newfoundland, via the United Kingdom. HMCS Algoma escorted Québec-Labrador convoys until mid-November, when she was loaned to Escort Group C-4 for one round trip to the United Kingdom. She arrived at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, late in December for a major refit, which included extending her forecastle, and was not completed until mid-April 1944. In May she joined Escort Force C-5 and arrived in Bermuda on 1 June to work up. Returning to St. John’s on 27 June, she made three round trips to the United Kingdom before joining Escort Group 41 (Royal Navy), Plymouth Command, in September. She was employed on patrol and escort duties in the Channel until the end of May 1945 when she returned to Canada and was paid off 6 July for disposal at Sydney, Nova Scotia. In 1945 she was sold to the Venezuelan Navy, renamed Constitución, and was not discarded until 1962.
Similar presentations are being made across Canada, to bring attention to the Canadian Naval Centennial and highlight the connection the Navy has with communities large and small in every corner of the country. Since 1910 Canada has put over 850 warships to sea under the naval ensign. Over 300 ships have been named for communities from coast to coast to coast.
Department of National Defence, Kanada