KABUL, Afghanistan, May 20, 2010 — U.S. Forces Afghanistan officials have launched a criminal investigation into allegations that a small number of U.S. soldiers were responsible for the unlawful deaths of as many as three Afghan civilians.
The investigations also include allegations of illegal drug use, assault and conspiracy, officials said.
No charges have been preferred yet, officials said, but one soldier has been placed in pre-trial confinement.
The Army’s Criminal Investigation Command initiated its investigation after receiving credible information from the soldiers’ unit earlier this month, according to a written statement command officials released today.
Command officials are “committed to the security and safety of the Afghan population, and will ensure any crimes are investigated fully and those responsible will be held accountable,” the statement said.
U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)