KABUL, Afghanistan, June 24, 2010 – Afghan and international forces in southern Afghanistan conducted several operations in and around Kandahar over the last two days, military officials reported.
A combined security force destroyed a major roadside-bomb factory, killed the Panjwai district Taliban commander and several other insurgents, and captured a number of other insurgents after an air strike in Kandahar province yesterday.
The deceased Taliban commander, Izzatullah, had planned and conducted attacks against coalition forces and was involved in the attack on Sarpoza prison outside of Kandahar City in June 2008, officials said.
After verifying insurgent activity, the combined force carefully planned the operation to avoid civilian casualties and mitigate collateral damage, and then called in a precision air strike, which destroyed the bomb-manufacturing site. Following the air strike, a combined security force quickly overwhelmed insurgent forces defending the area.
Post-strike assessment revealed large quantities of bomb-making materials, as well as multiple automatic weapons, rocket-propelled grenade launchers with RPG rounds, and communications equipment.
The Zharay district governor confirmed the Taliban deaths and thanked the combined force for its efforts.
A separate Afghan-international security force detained two suspected insurgents in Kandahar province yesterday. The suspected insurgents were travelling on a motorcycle in the Maiwand district when they were stopped for questioning and then detained. No shots were fired.
Another Afghan-international security force detained a suspected insurgent in Kandahar province last night. The security force detained the man while Afghan forces were clearing a series of compounds near Kandahar City. No shots were fired, and women and children present during the search were protected by the combined force.
Since the beginning of May, officials said, security forces have conducted numerous successful offensive operations in Kandahar province, capturing or killing numerous insurgents, including almost a dozen Taliban commanders.
„With our Afghan partners, [the International Security Assistance Force] will continue to expand its operations in and around Kandahar in order to create the space needed so the Afghan government can provide improved governance and essential services to the people of Kandahar,“ said Marine Corps Col. William Maxwell, ISAF Joint Command’s operations center director.
In operations outside of Kandahar, an Afghan-international security force used precision air strikes to kill a number of insurgents in Kunduz province last night while pursuing a Taliban subcommander who played a crucial role in the ambush of a German convoy in Chahar Darah district last month. The strikes were conducted in an unpopulated area of Chahar Darah district, and coalition forces ensured there were no civilian casualties, officials said.
An Afghan-international security force detained two suspected insurgents in Paktiya province last night during continuing operations aimed at dismantling a suicide-bombing ring blamed for several attacks. The terrorist ring is known to use vehicle-borne bombs and suicide bombers to target Afghan soldiers and police and international forces, officials said.
The combined security force detained the individuals while searching a series of compounds in the Gardez district. The security force also found a grenade and a weapon at the scene. No shots were fired, and women and children present during the search were protected by the combined security force.
An Afghan-international security force detained two suspected insurgents in Zabul province last night while pursuing a Taliban cell leader and facilitator suspected of procuring roadside bombs, weapons and ammunition for the Taliban. The combined security force detained the suspected insurgents after Afghan forces cleared an area near a truck stop in the Shinkai district. No shots were fired.
From an International Security Assistance Force Joint Command News Release