KABUL, Afghanistan, July 26, 2011 — An Afghan-led security force killed two Taliban insurgents today during a search for a roadside bomb expert operating in the Qush Tepah district of Afghanistan’s Jowzjan province, military officials reported.
The security force was notified of multiple insurgents carrying out operations in the area. Local residents informed them about Taliban members who were collecting illegal taxes and coercing residents with the threat of death.
The first insurgent was engaged and killed after the security force noticed him taking an offensive fighting position. At a separate location, another insurgent, who also displayed hostile intent, was engaged and killed. Following both engagements the force confiscated several AK-47 rifles and chest racks.
The security force also detained three individuals with suspected ties to the Taliban. Before leaving the area, the security force destroyed all insurgent weapons and equipment.
In Afghanistan operations yesterday:
– In the Darzab district of Jowzjan province, an Afghan-led security force killed two Taliban insurgents and detained two other individuals during a security search. The search was conducted against a Taliban roadside bomb cell operating in the district. The cell is responsible for carrying out attacks against Afghan security forces.
– During a search in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province, an Afghan and coalition security force captured a Taliban leader and detained one of his associates. The leader directed a cell of fighters in the district, and he coordinated attacks, weapons facilitation, and intelligence gathering for insurgents in the area.
– An Afghan-led force captured a Taliban facilitator during a security operation in the Arghandab district of Kandahar province. The operation targeted a Taliban weapons facilitator responsible for purchasing and distributing weapons and roadside bomb materials in the district.
– An Afghan and coalition security force killed five insurgents, wounded one, and detained two individuals during an operation targeting a Taliban leader in the Qarghah’i district of Laghman province. The leader plans attacks and facilitates weapons, fighters, and suicide bombers in the area. One local national female had minor wounds as a result of the engagement. She was treated on-site, and released after being assessed in good health.
– An Afghan-led security force detained two suspects during an operation targeting a Haqqani Network safe haven in the Sar Rowzah district of Paktika province.
From an International Security Assistance Force Joint Command News Release